Opening of the new Flinders Fire Station
A large crowd of donors gathered to watch Mr Daniel Mulino, MLC unveil the plaque and officially open the new Flinders Fire Station on 3 December 2017.
Mr Mulino was introduced by MC Neil Mitchell. CFA Board Member Dr Gillian Sparkes responded on behalf of the CFA. Captain David Hunt responded on behalf of the Flinders Fire Brigade, and introduced the Brigade members to warm applause.
Nearly 90 years old, the Flinders Fire Brigade was formed at a public meeting on 11 February 1929. It had no fire station or equipment in those days, and local farmers provided their farm trucks and tanks.
Many members of original fire fighting families continue to be active members of the Fire Brigade today. It currently has 23 members, and responds to approximately 20-30 calls per year. These include grass and scrub fires, structure fires and motor vehicle accidents of varying size and complexity. The Brigade also supports neighbouring communities of Main Ridge, Shoreham, Red Hill and Boneo. Flinders Fire Brigade members also assist with fires and incidents around Victoria and interstate when required.
The opening concluded with an invitation to guests to view the new fire station, and enjoy the substantial refreshments provided by the CWA.