The Flinders Post Office is to have a new Postmaster and a new building. Australia Post has provisionally approved the transfer of the Flinders Post Office Licence to the Flinders General Store.
Our present Postmaster, John Derham, is retiring after 32 years in the role. John will remain the Licensee and continue to run the Post Office from the present location until new facilities are ready across the road for the FGS to take over.
Subject to Council approval, a new post office facility will be built in the area between The Flinders General Store and the R T Edgar Estate Agency. David Gibbs, owner of the Flinders General Store, has advised that the new building will have a significant number of additional boxes to meet the waiting list. Access will be from Cook Street, and also from the FGS carpark at the rear, for delivery and collection of parcels.
This in effect is a full circle for the provision of postal services in Flinders, as for many years from the 1860s the Brent family operated the post office from the general store, which they founded. The present Post Office building opened in 1909 with an Edwardian timber residence next door for the new Postmaster.