An Appeal has now been lodged with VCAT regarding the proposed redevelopment of the Flinders Cove Motel, following MPS’s failure to determine the application within the prescribed timeframe. The FCA Committee has decided to be represented at the Appeal, and has lodged a Statement of Grounds as shown below:
FCA Statement of Grounds – VCAT Appeal P1462/2020
- The proposal is an overdevelopment, representing significant expansion and intensification of use on the site.
- The development does not adequately respond to the Flinders Village Centre Design Guidelines and DDO14.
- The development fails to meet DDO2 and expectations for planning in the General Residential zone particularly in respect to setbacks, streetscape and village amenity.
- The built form of the development dominates the environment presenting a massive change to the Wood Street frontage of the site.
- The development fails to maintain views to the landscape within and from Cook Street and incorporate generous vegetation.
- The development provides insufficient parking and seeks to borrow parking space from elsewhere to cover this deficiency.
- Mechanical infrastructure such as air conditioning units and exhaust fans may be prejudicial to the amenity of neighbouring residents by reason of noise and effluvia.
The development capitalises on the amenity and beauty of Flinders without contributing benefit to the village from the viewpoint of its residents.