Flinders District Lions Club
Flinders and District Lions Club
Flinders Lions President-
Useful Contacts and Links:
Facebook link – https://www.facebook.com/Flindersdistrictlions/
Email address –firstname.lastname@example.org
Flinders Motoring Heritage link – https://www.flindersmotoringheritage.com.au/
Lions website : http://www.e-clubhouse.org
THE YEAR AHEAD
It is with great pride we announce our new executive for 2021-22 and share an overview of events and projects we have supported in recent times with the wonderful support of our community.
President Monica Holland
Immediate Past President Mark Holland (2016-21)
1st Vice- President Mary Iles
Secretary Elaine Franklin
Treasurer Neville Kent
Assistant Treasurer Duncan Fischer
Membership Libby Kent
Some of our projects and activities over recent years include:
- Planting additional Norfolk Island Pines along Norman Street – a memorial originally started by school children to commemorate war service men and women.
- Obtaining funding for new street furniture and seating in the parks.
- Obtaining a Lions Foundation Grant to assist funding of the WWII Memorial at the Cook Street Reserve.
- Initiating the Flinders Motoring Heritage Event on Easter Sunday and funding for specific needs for Peninsula Health.
- The Annual Charity Golf Day (now in its 35th year).
- The Annual Flinders Community Picnic at Mushroom Reef.
- The Annual Pink Ribbon Breakfast, which supports the National Breast cancer Foundation.
- Fundraising dinners with guest speakers for Prostate Cancer Awareness; Diabetes Awareness; Alzheimer’s/Dementia Awareness; and for the new Flinders CFA Station.
- Special occasion dinners celebrating 100 years of Lions International, and 50 years of Flinders Lions Club.
- In 2019 the Club received the Lions District Club of the Year Award.
- Assisting Flinders RSL to conduct the ANZAC Day March and Commemorative Service and of course badge sales at the Flinders General Store and the Golf Club.
- Through Club Member contacts, when McMillan Educational Publishing was winding up that part of their business in Australia it offered to donate computers and IT equipment and 70 pallet loads of children’s books to Lions 123Read2me Project. Flinders Lions also secured a donation of the use of a warehouse rent free for as long as it was needed to enable the sorting and distribution of some 45,000 books for the 123Read2me organization.
- The relocation of AED to external positions in association with Ambulance Victoria and securing of funding and approval for an AED at the Flinders Pier.
- A Christmas Tree in the park.
- In consultation with Mornington Peninsula Shire Initiated an E-Waste collection trailer located in Norman Street.
Our main fund-raising activities have been through the Annual Charity Golf Day; the Flinders Motoring Heritage event; and continued assistance since the 1980’s with the Red Hill Market and Show carparking. In 2020-21, despite Covid 19 restrictions, we were still able to distribute more than $80,000 to many Lions Australia endorsed programs and needy local charities and causes.
Our membership has grown with many new members attracted by the opportunity to give a ‘little back’ and enjoy the camaraderie of like-minded people who have fun whilst doing good work.
For membership and other enquiries, please contact
Monica Holland email@example.com M: 0419566095
Elaine Franklin firstname.lastname@example.org M: 0406913734
Libby Kent email@example.com M: 0412318445
Or contact the member you may already know – they will invite you to one of our monthly dinner meetings.